Our Guide to Finding the Best Air Bed for Everyday Use After 2015
Air mattresses are an affordable, convenient alternative to a typical bed. But finding the right one isn’t always an easy task. Air beds can be as comfortable and as large as a regular bed, but if you choose the wrong model, you may wind up waking up on the floor – on top of a deflated mattress. So, what should you be considering when comparing models?
SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
Our favorite for 2017
Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed
A great value option
Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress with Never Flat Pump – Queen
A great choice
- The Brand Name: When it comes to air mattresses, brand names do matter. If the company has a reputation for producing quality mattresses, you’ll likely be getting a product that is durable, comfortable and long-lasting.
- Customer Reviews: The brand’s reputation is one important factor, but you should also look at customer reviews. Even well-known brands produce inferior or poorly designed products, so research what other customers are saying about the model you’re considering.
- The Mattress’ Specifications: How large is the mattress? What features does it offer? Is it easy to pump? Consider all of the product’s specifications when comparing models to ensure that you choose one that fits your needs.
Still unsure of which model you should choose? Don’t worry – we’ve rounded up the top five models on the market to help you find an air bed that fits your needs and budget.
Here are our top five picks for the best inflatable mattresses this year:
Top 5 Air Bed Reviews for 2017
Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed by Intex Comfort – If you’re going to be using your air mattress daily, you want to choose a model that is just as tall and comfortable as a traditional bed. Intex Comfort’s Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed fits the bill. Featuring a Fiber-Tech Construction, this mattress has a waterproof top, and stands an impressive 22 inches from the floor.
With indented sides, fitted sheets will never slip off the bed, and the built-in electric pump allows for quick and easy inflation and deflation. It takes just 4.5 minutes to inflate the mattress completely.
Intex Comfort even includes a duffel bag for easy transport and storage, and this model can support up to 600 pounds of weight.
The Dura-Beam Airbed is 35% more supportive, 100% more durable, and 15% lighter than a traditional air bed. And as a budget item, it’s easy to see why this model takes the top spot on our list.
SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress – The Dream Series air mattress from SoundAsleep features ComfortCoil Technology and a one-click internal pump for lightning-fast inflation.
Inside of the air mattress are 40 air coils that offer more support and durability. The waterproof flocked top is extra thick, which adds more durability and comfort to the bed. The multilayer material is puncture-resistant, which minimizes the risks of holes.
With an internal pump, this mattress inflates in less than four minutes, and can be turned off or on with the click of a button.
Featuring a “double-height” construction, this dual air chamber mattress stands at 19 inches tall, and features a short grip bottom that keeps the bed in place all night long. SoundAsleep also includes a convenient travel bag for easy storage and transport.
Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress – The Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress is one of our favorite models because it offers a few unique options, like models with inflatable headboards and pillow tops. Although these additional features come at a significantly higher price, they do allow for improved comfort – especially if you will be using this mattress every day.
Another unique thing about this model is that it features two pumps through the company’s patented neverFLAT system, which keeps your air bed inflated all night long. The primary pump, deflates and inflates the air bed automatically in under four minutes. The supplementary neverFLAT pump will monitor air levels while you sleep, and make adjustments accordingly.
And if you’re worried about noise – don’t be. The secondary pump is completely silent.
The queen-size features 35 circular coils, while a twin size features 21 coils for added comfort and support while you sleep. Standing at 18 inches tall, this air bed is easy to get in and out of.
Plush Airbed with Built-in Electric Pump by Intex Comfort – Another great model from Intex Comfort, the Plus Airbed with built-in pump is one of the most affordable models on our list, and offers many of the same features as our first pick. This particular model only comes in a queen-size, which may be an issue if space is limited. But it’s comfortable level is hard to beat, and it features a built-in electric pump that allows for easy, convenient inflation and deflation.
Like our first pick, this model will inflate in under four minutes. The flocked top is waterproof, and this bed features vinyl beams that improve durability. With an 18 inch height, this mattress provides you with the support and comfort you need to enjoy a restful night of sleep.
AeroBed Queen Pillowtop Air Mattress – The AeroBed Queen Pillowtop mattress only comes in last on our list because of its high price. Make no mistake about it – this model is about as close as you’re going to get to a traditional mattress.
For starters, it features a plush pillowtop that offers comfort and is easily removable for cleaning. It also comes with a headboard that allows for improved support while sitting up in bed.
With a unique, patented internal construction, this mattress reduces the transfer of movement, so you never disturb your partner when changing positions. It’s 18 inches tall, too, so it’s easier to get in and out of bed.
Like other models on our list, this one comes with a built-in pump allows for easy inflation and deflation. And as an added bonus, the AeroBed comes with a convenient one that allows you to adjust the firmness of the mattress.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Air Bed for Daily Use
What makes one air mattress better than another? There are several things you need to take into consideration:
- Mattress Size: The size of the mattress is very important, especially if you’re limited on space or you need to accommodate more than one person. A king or queen size mattress will add more support and allow you and your partner to sleep comfortably. On the other hand, if you only need to accommodate one person, a twin or full size mattress may be the best option.
- Height: Height is another consideration. Higher air beds look and feel a lot like a traditional mattress, and they’re much easier to get in and out of. Some beds can be as tall as 22 inches, while others will be under 15 inches. We recommend going with a mattress that’s at least 18 inches tall.
- Durability: There’s no denying that air beds are fragile. They’re vulnerable to punctures, which causes air to escape and your mattress to deflate overnight. Look for models that have a durable construction, so your mattress lasts more than just a few months.
- Pump type: If you’re looking for convenience, go with a model that has a built-in pump. These plug directly into an outlet, and inflate with the press of a button. You won’t have to search for your old electric pump in the garage, or fiddle with a hand pump just to inflate your bed each night.
- Price: Your budget is one of the most important considerations. But like with any other product, you don’t want to base your entire decision on the cost of the mattress. Buy a mattress that fits within your budget, but doesn’t compromise on quality.