Our Guide to Sorting Through All the Cool Gel Mattress Reviews and Finding the Right One for You
Have you ever slept on a memory foam mattress and woke up in a sweat? Memory foam is unbeatable when it comes to comfort and support, but airflow is poor, so you heat up at night. That’s where gel memory foam comes in. An evolution of the original memory foam, designed by NASA, gel is infused with viscoelastic foam to improve airflow and keep you cooler at night.
Classic Brands Cool Gel 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Our favorite for 2017
Classic Brands 10.5-Inch Cool Gel Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress
A great value option
DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
A fantastic model from Dynasty
If you’re shopping for a cool gel mattress, you may be wondering what makes one mattress better than another. Here are the most important things to consider:
- Brand Name: Brands aren’t always important, but in this case they are. Choose well-known brand names that have a good reputation to ensure that you’re getting an authentic, durable gel mattress.
- Mattress Construction: How is the mattress built? Is it made entirely of gel memory foam, or is it infused with other materials? Some foam mattress are hybrids, which means they use both foam and traditional springs. Consider your needs and preferences when looking at the mattress’ construction.
- Delivery: How is the mattress shipped and delivered? Models that are compressed are easily shipped to your door, but will need a few days to expand to its original shape. If delivered uncompressed, you’ll need to consider how you’ll get the mattress inside.
- Customer Satisfaction: What are users saying about the mattress? Is it comfortable to sleep on? Are there any issues with durability? Does the mattress offer good value for the money? Customer satisfaction is a key important thing to consider because it lets you know whether you’re investing in a quality product.
Now you know what to consider when comparing mattresses, but do you really have the time to sit down and compare every single model on the market? Probably not. Don’t worry – we’ve taken care of the hard work for you and hand-selected five of the best mattresses based on the above factors.
The Best Gel Top Mattress – Our Top 5 Picks
These five mattresses have proven to be comfortable, supportive, cooling, durable and affordable.
Classic Brands 10.5” Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress – Classic Brand’s 10.5” cool gel memory foam mattress offers superior comfort and support to keep you cool at night. Unlike other memory foam mattresses, this model boasts a number of different layers that work together to provide you with a comfortable night of sleep.
These layers include:
- 2” Cool Gel memory foam
- Two 1” Poly Gel-supportive foam layers
- 5” support base that strengthens and boosts the effectiveness of each layer
This Classic Brands alleviates pressure points to providing excellent support. And the cool gel pumps regulate body temperature by allowing air to circulate more freely through its open cell technology.
The great thing about this mattresses is that it’s shipped in a compressed form, which makes it easy to move into your home.
Classic Brands 12” Gel Memory Foam Mattress – Another model from the Classic Brands name, this mattress features a 12 inch profile. And like our previous pick, this model has multiple layers that work together to provide you with a cool and comfortable night of sleep.
The breathable Cool Gel memory foam layer disperses your body heat and allows for a cooler sleeping surface. At the same time, it eliminates pressure points, so your sleep is more restful.
Next, there are two Poly Gel-supportive foam layers that add support to the top gel foam layer. Finally, the support base serves as a sturdy foundation to maintain the effectiveness of the other layers.
For added convenience, the entire mattress comes with a detailed, knit cover that further improves air circulation and conforms to your body.
Dynasty Mattress Cool Breeze – With 3” gel memory foam, this 12” mattress from DynastyMattres is a pleasure to sleep on. Constructed with dual 2” cooling airflow foam, you’ll enjoy a cooler night of sleep while still enjoying the same comfort benefits that memory foam offers. The top airflow foam layer is reinforced by a 5 inch high density foam support base, which adds durability and a little extra support.
DynastyMattress includes a plush white cover to protect the mattress, and this cover is removable for easy washing. On top of all this, they also throw in two free gel pillows with matching covers.
If you’re looking for a luxurious memory foam mattress that won’t break the bank, Cool Breeze is the right choice.
Arctic Dreams by Deamfoam Bedding – Arctic Dreams – the name says it all. This cooling gel mattress is built with a special type of viscoelastic known as Energex. Energex combines the benefits of traditional memory foam with latex to provide you with a responsive, open and cool mattress. And you can really feel the difference.
Arctic Dreams is built with 3 inches of Energex gel foam and six quilting layers of high density memory foam. A soft quilting layer envelops the mattress to offer an unbeatable level of support and comfort.
And if you’re concerned about the environment (and toxins), you’ll be happy to know that this mattress is CertiPUR-US. What does this mean? It means that the foam is made without ozone depleters, TDCPP, PBDEs, mercury, heavy metals, lead, phthalates, or formaldehyde. It’s low VOC, too, so it doesn’t emit a strong chemical smell like other memory foam mattresses.
Classic Brands Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress – Very similar to our first pick – but comes at a higher price. This Classic Brands ventilated memory foam mattress features Cool Gel and a 10.5 inch profile.
Like other Classic Brands models, this one features multiple layers: a 2” Cool Gel layer that disperses body heat, two 1” layers of supportive foam, and a 6.5 inch base that provides support and helps maintain the effectiveness of all three layers.
This model also comes with a breathable, knit top cover that stretches and conforms to your body.
Using open cell technology, this mattress is able to provide better air circulation, which allows for you to enjoy a cooler night of sleep.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Cooling Gel Mattress for You
How can you find a gel mattress for you? While every person is different, there are a few important things that you should consider when looking at different models. These include:
- Mattress Size: Naturally, the size of the mattress is important. Make sure that the model you’re considering offers the mattress size that you need. Remember, most models don’t come with a boxspring, so you’ll need to supply your own. If you plan on using your old one, you’ll need to find a mattress that fits your base accordingly.
- Cooling Method: How does the mattress keep you cool? Does it use open cell technology, which naturally allows for better airflow? Or, does it use another method? Not all cooling mattresses use gels, and not all gel mattresses are necessarily cooling.
- Mattress Profile: How high is the mattress? Generally, the larger the profile, the more support it provides. But it also adds height to your bed. Choose a profile that meets your needs without forcing you to use a step-ladder just to get into bed.
- Price: Last – but certainly not least – you’ll need to think about the cost of the mattress. Buy the best quality you can afford, and remember, a cheap mattress will cost you more in the long run. Back pain, poor durability and insufficient support may cause you to replace your mattress more often.
Choosing a mattress – be it gel memory foam or traditional – is a very personal decision. You spend one-third of your life sleeping, so choose a mattress that meets your own unique needs, even if that means stretching your budget a little.