Let Our Guide Help You Find the Best Pillow for Neck Pain If You Sleep On Your Back
Your morning routine is the same: you sleep on your back at night, and wake up with neck pain. You’ve tried sleeping with a body pillow on your side and every other trick in the book. Nothing seems to work. What gives?
Sleep Yoga® Dual Position Neck Pillow
Our favorite for 2017
Tri-Core Cervical Pillow
A great value option
The Pancake Pillow
A great adjustable option
Back sleepers can develop neck pain issues if their head isn’t elevated properly or they sleep on a pillow that doesn’t offer adequate support. To make matters worse, there’s no real easy way to determine if a pillow is good for both back sleepers and neck pain.
Here are a few points to keep in mind when looking at different pillows:
- Back Sleepers Only: Look for pillows designed for back sleepers. These are typically medium firm, so they offer adequate support. Pillows designed for side sleepers are much firmer, and may be too stiff for your needs. Stomach sleeper pillows are soft and thin – not ideal for back sleepers. Choosing a pillow that’s designed exactly for your sleeping position will make a world of difference on its own.
- Quality: The last thing you want is to buy a new pillow and have it go flat in just a few weeks or months. The quality of the pillow is important, and the density is often a tell-tale sign of whether you’ll enjoy a few years of fluffy comfort – or a few weeks.
- Reviews: Speaking of quality, another way to judge whether a pillow is a smart buy is to read through customer reviews. If the pillow has a high rating and hundreds (or thousands) of reviews, there’s a good chance it’s a worthwhile buy.
The good news is that you don’t have to go far to find the right pillow for your needs. We’ve hand-picked the best back-sleeper pillows for neck pain to help you find the right one – and enjoy a better night of sleep.
Our Reviews for the Top Pillows for Neck Pain
Sleep Yoga Dual Position Neck Pillow – A dual position neck pillow designed by chiropractors for side and back sleepers. With a unique shape and construction, this pillow can help improve your posture while boosting your sleep quality and flexibility.
The ergonomic design allows you to switch positions without compromising comfort or support.
The contoured shape provides optimal support for the curve of your neck while you sleep, which promotes proper alignment to help alleviate neck pain.
As an added bonus, this pillow is hypoallergenic, washable and constructed with biodegradable materials. With a solid construction, this pillow never loses its shape.
Tri-Core Cervical Pillow – The Tri-Core cervical pillow is a smart choice if you suffer with severe neck pain after sleeping on your back. In fact, it’s the #1 recommended neck traction pillow by medical professionals.
It’s the trapezoid design of the pillow that makes it so therapeutic and supportive. It cradles the head while offering firm support for your neck.
There are two neck support sizes, so you can choose the one that suits you best, and the design of the pillow allows you to enjoy the same level of comfort and support if you decide to sleep on your side.
Three size options are available to accommodate kids, teens and adults.
The Pancake Pillow – Sometimes, neck pain is caused by your pillow being too high or too low, especially if you’re a back sleeper. That’s where the Pancake Pillow comes in.
A unique design, the Pancake Pillow allows you to choose a custom height for your pillow by adding or removing internal layers. Each layer is, essentially, a thin pillow.
The great thing about this pillow is that it provides optimal support for any sleeping position, so if you change positions often, you won’t wake up in pain.
The 300-thread count outer case is soft and comfortable, and the stackable inner pillows are filled with a soft down alternative.
If you want complete control over your pillow’s height, the Pancake Pillow is the right choice.
Memory Foam Bamboo Bed Pillow – Memory foam is naturally supportive, which makes it an excellent choice for pillows. This particular pillow is filled with shredded memory foam and a bamboo blend covering for a clean, comfortable and healthy night of sleep.
Bamboo is naturally resistant to dust mites and hypoallergenic. The pillow’s cover is a blend of 40% bamboo and 60% polyester for a comfortable, soft and breathable sleeping surface. Breathable holes help keep you from sweating, too.
The great thing about shredded memory foam is that it offers exceptional support that contours to the natural shape of your body while still being comfortable and shapeable. Most memory foam pillows are solid in shape, and can’t easily be reshaped.
Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow – Coop Home Goods’ Shredded Memory Foam pillow is one of the best-rated support and comfort pillows on the market. Although it’s a high end item, it’s worth the cost if you’re dealing with neck pain every morning.
Filled with CertiPUR-US certified foam, these pillows are incredibly comfortable and made with environmentally-friendly materials. The company is very stringent with their qualifications for the materials they use to fill and cover the pillow.
Because these pillows are made with shredded memory foam, they can be shaped to your liking. And they’re naturally dust-mite resistant and hypoallergenic.
As an added bonus, Coop Home Goods offers a 5 year warranty and guarantees that its pillows will never go flat.
If you love the idea of a memory foam pillow and have a bigger budget, this is the pillow you want to get.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Neck Pain Pillow for You
You’ve suffered with neck pain long enough. It’s time to invest in a good pillow that gives you the support and comfort you deserve. But how do you pick the right one? We’ve given you five great options to choose from, but if you’re having trouble picking just one, here are some tips to guide you in the right direction.
- What material do you prefer? Are you looking for a memory foam pillow, or a standard pillow? Most standard pillows have a polyester blend filling, and memory foam pillows often have bamboo covers. The benefit of bamboo and memory foam is that they’re both resistant to dust mites and are hypoallergenic. Standard pillows can be just as comfortable and supportive, and are often more affordable.
- What shape and design do you prefer? Are you looking for a contoured pillow? If so, the Sleep Yoga and Tri-Core pillows are a great option. The Tri-Core is a bit more supportive, but either of the two give you the option of also sleeping on your side. If you prefer a standard pillow shape and design, the final three models on our list are excellent choices. And if finding the right height is an issue, the Pancake Pillow lets you customize the height of your pillow to your own personal preference.
- Price: Finally, the last thing you want to consider is price. High-quality pillows designed to offer support and pain relief are often more expensive than your standard pillow. But they are worth the cost as they offer much-needed relief and comfort. If you’re spending money on pain pills, chiropractor visits or trips to the doctor, a therapeutic pillow will pay for itself very quickly.