Our Guide to Choosing the Best Flat Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
Experts say you should get 8 hours of sleep each night to stay healthy, but time isn’t the only factor that’s important – quality is important, too. The right pillow will ensure that you get a restful sleep every night. How do you find the right pillow? The first thing to consider is your sleeping position.
Slim Sleeper – Natural Latex Foam Pillow
Our favorite for 2017
Serta Gel Memory Foam Side Sleeper Pillow
A great value option
Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow
A great product
If you’re a stomach sleeper, your needs will be different than someone who sleeps on their back or side. Keep these factors in mind when comparing pillows for stomach sleepers:
- Thickness: For maximum comfort, stomach sleepers need thin pillows. Large, bulky pillows will raise your head and neck too high, causing discomfort.
- Shape: Some belly sleepers prefer pillows with tapered sides because they don’t block the nasal passages and allow you to breathe freely at night.
- Firmness: Medium firmness tends to work best for those who sleep on their stomachs.
- Neck and Shoulder Pain: If you’re suffering with neck and shoulder pain, you may consider a model with memory foam or a gel chamber for added support and relief at night.
- Material: The material is also important. Down is a popular choice for stomach sleepers, but may not offer the support you need to prevent neck pain. Again, memory foam and gel chambers are great options if you need firmer support and pain relief.
Finding the right pillow is no easy task – no matter what sleeping position you prefer. We’ve hand selected five pillows that are specially designed for stomach sleepers to help you find the right one for your needs.
Top 5 Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
If you’re looking for the best pillow for stomach sleepers, these five models fit the bill.
Slim Sleeper – Latex Foam Pillow – The Slim Sleeper pillow is a natural latex foam pillow that’s just 2.75 inches tall. One of the thinnest pillows you can buy, this model is antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, anti-dust mite, mildew resistant and anti-fungal.
With a cotton outer cover, this pillow is incredibly soft and comfortable. Its pin-hole design also keeps the pillow cool at night, so you can sleep comfortably until morning.
This is one of the few pillows on the market that truly has a low profile design, and because it’s made of latex, it will not lose its shape over time.
The Slim Sleeper is our top pick because it’s less than 3” thick, and offers the support stomach sleepers need to wake up pain-free.
Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow – The Ultra Slim Sleeper has an even lower profile than our previous pick – just 2.5” thick. The only reason why this model wasn’t our top pick is because it’s made from memory foam, not latex. Memory foam is a great material, but latex does offer dust mite and fungal resistance for an even cleaner sleeping environment.
Part of what makes this pillow so great for stomach sleepers its half pillow design. This means that one side is flat, and the other side features a traditional pillow shape.
The memory foam conforms to your body’s own unique shape, so you get the support and comfort you need for a restful night of sleep.
If you’re looking for the thinnest pillow for belly sleepers, this is the right model for you.
Serta Gel Memory Foam Side Sleeper Pillow – Serta is one the best known brands in the pillow and mattress industries. While this memory foam pillow is technically designed for side sleepers, it’s thin and supportive enough for stomach sleepers, too. With a loft design, this pillow allows for proper spinal alignment during sleep.
The gel memory foam alleviates pressure points while keeping you cool at night. This means that you’ll spend less time tossing and turning. And like the first model on our list, this pillow has a cool vent design for superior airflow.
Because it’s made of memory foam, this pillow will never lose its shape and will never go flat.
If you’re looking for a versatile pillow that’s a little bit thicker than the previous two models, this model is a smart choice.
MyPillow Premium Series Bed Pillow – The MyPillow Premium is a unique pillow because it offers ample support for all sleeping positions. So, if you’re the type of person to switch between stomach, side and back positions throughout the night, this is the pillow for you.
What makes this pillow so unique is its patented Interlocking Filling, which allows you to adjust the pillow to your own individual needs no matter what position you’re sleeping in. This model comes with four different loft levels that are dependent on your T-shirt size. A fitting guide is available to help you find the right one for your needs.
While not a thin pillow by any means, the Interlocking Filling still makes this pillow comfortable even when you’re sleeping on your stomach.
The Pancake Pillow – Adjustable Layer Pillow – By far the most unique model on our list, the Pancake Pillow is an adjustable pillow that allows you to decide how thick or thin it is. Whether you prefer a thin or medium-density pillow, this model can accommodate your needs – without having to buy separate pillows.
Each pillow comes with six stackable layers, so you can choose the exact thickness you desire. Filled with a soft, microfiber down-alternative, this pillow is ideal for those who prefer medium or soft firmness. It’s hypoallergenic, too, so you never have to worry about your pillow aggravating your allergies.
The outer covering that holds the six layers is made of luxurious 300-thread count cotton, and zippers on three sides for easy access and layer adjustment.
If you’re looking for a versatile pillow, it doesn’t get any better than the Pancake Pillow.
Buyers Guide – How to Choose the Right Thin Stomach Sleeper Pillow for You
When it comes to choosing the right pillow, stomach sleepers have a lot to consider. From support to airflow and height, the wrong pillow can easily cause you to wake up with back pain or make snoring even worse. Here’s what to look for when buying a pillow:
- Quality: You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping, so it pays to invest in a high quality pillow. Memory foam, latex and gel are three excellent material choices that will hold their shape and provide you with the support you need for a good night of sleep. Poly-fill works well, too, but may lose its shape over time.
- Density: Do you prefer fluffy or thin pillows? Thin is typically preferred by stomach sleepers because it allows you to breathe easier while still getting the support you need. Thicker pillows work well for some people, but generally, thinner is more comfortable for belly sleepers as raising your neck and head too high can cause pain.
- Size: The size of the pillow (not the thickness) is important, too. Consider the size of your bed. If you sleep on a twin or full mattress, you’ll need a standard or twin pillow. Queen and king pillows are also available. If you choose a size that it is too small or large, you won’t be able to sleep comfortably.
- Price: Price will be a top concern when buying pillows. Some pillows can be pricey, but oftentimes, they are worth the cost because they won’t lose their shape and are resistant to bacteria, dust mites, etc. As always, choose the best quality you can afford.