Who Makes the Best Rated Mattress for Back Pain After 2015?
You and your mattress have a love-hate relationship. Every night, you go to sleep hoping to wake up refreshed. Instead, you wake up with back pain. Maybe it’s your sleeping position, but chances are, your mattress is to blame.
Sleep Innovations Taylor 12-inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress
Our favorite for 2017
Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Dual-Layered Mattress
A great value option
LUCID 12 Inch Memory Foam Mattress
CertiPUR-USA certified with 25 years warranty!
To enjoy a restful, pain-free night of sleep, you need a mattress that’s designed to alleviate pain – without sacrificing comfort.
How do you find that mattress? What should you be looking for when comparing models? Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Mattress Type: Memory foam and spring are the two most common types of mattresses you’ll find in stores. For people with back pain, we recommend memory foam because it offers support while still providing pressure-point relief. Memory foam is also one of the most comfortable options and does a better job of keeping the spine aligned at night.
- Quality: Never underestimate the importance of quality when shopping for a mattress. You spend a great deal of time sleeping, and choosing a poor quality mattress will only make your back pain worse. Research the brand you’re considering and check out the materials they use. This will give you a good indication of the mattress’s quality.
- Brand Reputation: While you’re researching brands, take the time to learn more about their reputation. Are they known for producing some of the best quality mattress in their class? Maybe their mattresses are known for being a favorite among back pain sufferers. The more you know about the brand and the quality of its products, the better.
You could spend hours comparing and researching different brands to find the right one. But why waste your time when we’ve already done all of this for you. Check out our mattress recommendations below.
Reviews – 5 Mattresses from Our Favorite Brands
Lucid 10″ Dual-Layered, Memory Foam Mattress – The Lucid 10” memory foam mattress features two layers of foam for added support and comfort. Below the cotton velour cover (which is removable) is a 2.5” layer of comfort foam, and beneath that is a 7.5” layer of high density foam.
The two layers work harmoniously to provide exceptional support to alleviate back pain while helping you sleep comfortably at night. The high density foam is responsible for the supportive properties, and it also allows for improved airflow, so you stay cooler at night.
The mattress is constructed with foam that’s CertiPUR-US certified and is backed by a 25-year warranty.
Plus, the mattress comes in a vacuum-packed box, so you never have to worry about scheduling a special delivery. It ships right to your door and expands in just 72 hours.
Gel Memory Foam 10 inch Mattress by ExceptionalSheets – ExceptionalSheets’ 10” mattress features gel memory foam to keep you cool while providing the pain relief you crave.
Just like the previous mattress on our list, this model has two layers. The top layer is 3” thick and features gel memory foam with a 3lb density. It contours to the natural shape of your body, alleviating pressure points and ensuring that your spine is properly aligned.
The bottom layer is 7”thick with a 1.8lb density for extra support and airflow.
Available in six sizes, this gel memory foam mattress is ideal for sleepers who suffer with back pain every night.
Resort Sleep 10 Inch Cool Memory Foam Mattress – Resort Sleep offers a 10” memory foam mattress that’s designed to keep you cool at night while providing you with cradling support.
The top layer is built with 2.5” of Viscoelastic memory foam that contours to the shape of your body. The bottom 7.5” layer features high density foam for firmer support that helps alleviate lower back pain.
The Resort Sleep mattress is backed by a 20-year warranty and features CertiPUR-US certified foam, so you know you’re getting a quality mattress.
With firmness of medium to medium-firm, this mattress is the ideal choice for sleepers with back, shoulder, hip, side, and foot pain.
Sleep Innovations Taylor 12” Memory Foam Mattress – The Taylor 12” mattress from Sleep Innovations is affordable and offers maximum support with a medium-firm feel.
The unique design allows for pressure point relief while keeping your body properly aligned to reduce pain.
The Taylor mattress features three therapeutic layers: a 2” cooling memory foam layer at the top for added comfort and to keep you cool all night long; a 2” channel foam layer to improve airflow even further; and an 8” support base made with support-plus foam. The final layer adds that firm support you need to relieve pain and keep your spine aligned.
LUCID 12 Inch Memory Foam Mattress – Our second pick from Lucid. This 12” mattress has one advantage over our first pick: it offers an additional layer of foam for added comfort and support.
The first 2” layer consists of comfort memory foam, while an additional 2” layer of memory foam adds even more supportive comfort. The final 8” layer consists of high density foam to keep you cool while contouring to the natural shape of your body.
These three layers work together to support the curves of your neck, shoulders, spine and head, so you enjoy a comfortable, pain-free night of sleep.
This 12” mattress is compressed and rolled for easy shipping and is constructed with Certi-PUR US certified foam.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Top Mattress for Back Pain
Unfortunately, there’s no user’s manual on how to pick a mattress (disappointing, we know). Buying a mattress is a personal thing – what works for you may not work for another person. But there are some general things that you should look for, especially if you have back pain.
- Support Level: One of the first things you should consider is the support level the mattress offers. Lack of support is a major contributor to back pain, so it’s important to make sure you choose a supportive mattress. This is where memory foam shines because it provides support that’s unique to you – i.e. it conforms to your body’s curves to provide you with just the right amount of support.
- Mattress Thickness: The thickness of the mattress is important as well. Thinner mattresses typically don’t provide enough support and are often a bad choice for people with back pain. Look for models that are at least 10” thick for best results.
- Size: Naturally, you want to choose the right size mattress for your bedframe. If you have a uniquely-sized bed, your options may be limited.
- Price: Finally, you want to consider your budget. Mattresses are an investment, and an important one at that. Normally, we recommend buying the best quality you can afford right now. But if you have back pain, it may be better to first find the ideal mattress for your needs, and save up to purchase it when you’re ready. The right mattress can alleviate or eliminate back pain altogether, so it’s worth waiting to purchase a higher quality model.