What’s the Best Way to Clean a Waterproof Mattress Protector? Find Out Here!
There’s nothing that can ruin the feelings of just-cleaned sheets than to find out that your mattress cover is dirty and somehow smelly. Everyone knows that you are supposed to wash your bed sheets after one to two weeks of use, but what about protectors? Do they really need washing? Keep reading!
What are you cleaning your mattress protector of and how often?
Just because you don’t sleep directly on your mattress protector doesn’t mean that it doesn’t get dirty. A mattress cover protects your bed against absorbing spills and perspirations, and they also reduce the amount of dirt, debris, and dust that find their way into your bed.
Without a protector, all these stuffs make it into your mattress, decreasing its lifespan. So, your mattress protector needs to be cleaned regularly. Hey! But not yearly—washing should be done on a monthly basis. Is your mattress is due for washing? We want to enlighten you on how to wash your cover. But wait! First, answer the following quiz.
Is your mattress protector washable?
Not all types of mattress cover can be washed at home. The good thing is that every mattress protector comes with a tag showing whether it’s washable or not. Check your mattress cover, and if not washable, you’ll probably need to take it to a dry cleaner.
Vinyl and waterproof protectors can’t be dry cleaned, because they can be spoiled in the process, rendering them ineffective after dry cleaning.
So, how can you wash your mattress cover?
Now that you’ve determined that your zippered mattress protector is washable, it’s time to throw it into your washing machine. But hang on! You’re about to miss some important preps. Do the following before you hit that ‘Start’ button:
- Start by dealing with all stains. So, apply a stain remover or pre-wash product on your mattress cover before laundering. Allow the laundry product to sit for about 15 to 30 minutes. Rub the area where you applied stain remover with your hands to ensure that it really worked. If not, rinse and add more stain remover and wait.
- Check what the recommended highest temperature is for your protector. You can find this detail on the tag in the cover’s seam.
- Put your mattress cover into the washing machine and add a mild detergent.
- Turn temperature Knob of your machine to the maximum recommended temperatures. You can now hit that start button and allow your washing machine do the tricks.
What is the best drying option for my mattress protector?
So, you’ve washed your cover and is stainless now. It’s time to do the drying. What are drying options available and which one can work best for your protector?
- You can hang dry, especially if you have a zippered fabric mattress cover to avoid shrinkage.
- You can set your dryer to medium setting and add a few white tennis balls to help your cover dry faster.
- Make sure that your dryer is at low setting and dry your cover along with other items to lessen shrinkage
Using high heat temperature can shrink your mattress cover. Even worse, it can damage some special fabric inside the cover, reducing its lifespan. You definitely want to keep money in your pocket no matter how little it could be.
What do I do if my mattress cover is waterproof?
You don’t have to worry if your protector is waterproof since the process of washing it is pretty the same as that of regular, washable covers. All you’ll need is a more delicate touch as give here:
- Don’t use any detergent with bleaching capability. You don’t want to destroy the waterproof lining and void your protector’s warranty.
- Strictly follow the temperature directions.
- Set your machine on to wash cycle.
If you’re this busy fellow, who doesn’t have enough time to read all tips on how to take care of your mattress cover provided in this article, here is a link to a YouTube video summarizing everything needed to wash your protector.
In the video, you’ll learn how to set the right temperature for your specific mattress protector as well as the step-by-step procedure for washing your cover.
As we all know, the bed is where we start our day and end there. We spend almost a third of our life there. As such, you want to make cleanest and very comfortable. Knowing how to wash and dry your mattress protector is crucial in creating a soothing sleep environment. Caring for your protector now is a way of ensuring that you have a reliable bed accessory many years to come.