Let Us Help You Find the Best Foundation for a Memory Foam Mattress
You just bought a new memory foam mattress. Now what? Do you need a box spring, too, or can you just set the mattress on your bed frame?
Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation
Our favorite for 2017
Zinus 14 Inch MyEuro SmartBase
A great value option
Zinus 14 Inch Elite SmartBase Mattress Foundation
Provides solid support for up to 4400 lbs
If you’d rather not buy a box spring (that defeats the whole purpose of memory foam, doesn’t it?), a mattress foundation is your only choice – and it’s the ideal one. A good foundation will prevent sagging and replace a conventional box spring. You save money and enjoy a better night of sleep –what more could you ask for?
When searching for a foundation, keep these few things in mind when comparing models:
- Type of Foundation: What type of foundation do you prefer? Some models are made of metal, while others have wooden slats. The nice thing about wood is that it won’t bow or bend like metal. Metal, however, is more durable and easier to maintain.
- Maximum Weight: Another thing to consider is the maximum weight the frame can handle. Most foundations can accommodate a tremendous amount of weight (2,000-4,000+ pounds), so this typically isn’t an issue. But it’s important to check the weight limit just to be safe. If the weight limit is on the low side, it may be a sign that the frame is poor quality.
- Feedback: Speaking of quality, it’s important to check user feedback on the frame you’re considering to determine if the model is of high quality.
With these three points in mind, we’re going to share five of the best mattress foundations to help you find the ideal model for your memory foam bed.
The Best Mattress Foundation Reviews
Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation – The Zinus 14” mattress foundation is ideal for memory foam mattresses, and generous height also makes it ideal for older sleepers who have trouble getting in and out of low beds.
Affordable (just under 100 dollars online for a queen size) and easy to assemble, this foundation acts as both a box spring and a bed frame. No tools are required to put the Zinus bed frame together, and it offers 12.5” of space under the foundation for added storage space.
The heavy-duty design of this frame allows it to accommodate up to 2,400 pounds of evenly distributed weight, which makes it ideal for any home.
Zinus Modern Studio 10 Inch Platform – The Modern Studio 10” platform bed foundation is one of Zinus’ best-selling frames, and its wooden slat design makes it extremely durable.
Ten wood slats keep your mattress from sagging and also eliminates the need to buy a box spring. Plastic feet are included to protect your floors, and the entire foundation is backed by a 5 year limited warranty.
Assembly is easy, and the low profile (10”) is ideal for high-profile mattresses. The Modern Studio also provides you with 7” of storage space under the bed to maximize your space.
If you have a headboard, you’ll be happy to hear that this frame has openings on two of the legs for easy attachment of a headboard.
Zinus 14 Inch Elite SmartBase Mattress Foundation – The 14” Elite SmartBase from Zinus is, arguably, the best latex mattress foundation in terms of storage space, and is the ideal choice for taller users.
Made from durable steel, this mattress foundation stands 14”off the floor, providing you with ample storage space (12.5” of clearance). Assembly is easy, too, and requires no tools.
The design of the frame eliminates the need for a box spring, so it’s ideal for memory foam and latex mattresses. The 5-year limited warranty adds peace of mind in knowing that your purchase is protected.
With the capability of supporting up to 4,400 pounds of evenly distributed weight, the Elite SmartBase is a wise choice for heavier sleepers.
Zinus 14 Inch MyEuro SmartBase/Wooden Slat – If you prefer wooden slats, the MyEuro SmartBase from Zinus is a great choice. This mattress foundation offers a 14” height and 12.5” of clearance under the frame for storage.
With seven foldable legs and 14 wooden slats, this foundation offers ample support and is exceptionally sturdy. Assembly is simple and requires no tools.
Like other foundations from Zinus, this model also acts as a box spring. Simply place your memory foam or latex mattress directly onto the frame, and enjoy a restful night of sleep. The design of the foundation prevents sagging and adds to the life of your mattress.
Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Deluxe Mattress Foundation – The final pick from Zinus also boasts a 14” height, but feature an all-steel design that can support up to 4,400 pounds of evenly distributed weight.
T-shaped legs allow for exceptional stability, while the locking system improves safety. The foundation also offers 12.5” of clearance for valuable under-bed storage space, and replaces a traditional box spring.
No tools are required to assemble this foundation, so putting it together is a breeze. Plastic caps are also included for the legs to help protect your floors.
If safety and durability are your top concerns, the Zinus SmartBase Deluxe is a smart choice.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Memory Foam Base for You
Buying a bed frame is just as important as buying the mattress itself. The wrong model can make your entire night uncomfortable – even if you have the most expensive memory foam mattress you can buy.
Here are some things to consider when shopping for a memory foam base:
- Height: The height of the base is a major concern because it not only affects how high your bed will be, but it also affects how much storage space you have underneath the bed. If you have a tall mattress (10”-12” profile), a 14” bed frame will add considerable height, making it a bit more difficult to get up onto the bed. Height is a completely personal decision, but just keep in mind both the height of the base and the height of the mattress to make a smart decision.
- Reinforced Legs: For added safety and durability, you may consider a base that has reinforced or t-shaped legs as well as locking mechanisms to prevent the frame from accidentally collapsing.
- Easy Assembly: No one wants to spend an entire afternoon putting together a bed frame. Modern frames are easy to assemble and typically require no tools.
- Price: Finally, keep the frame’s price in mind. Memory foam bases are typically very affordable, especially compared to the price of a conventional box spring. Most high quality models can be purchased for an affordable amount, so even if you’re on a tight budget, you can still afford to buy a durable base for your mattress.