How to Find the Ideal Stomach Sleeper Mattress If You Have Lower Back Pain
Every morning you wake up tired, cranky and in pain. If you’re a stomach sleeper, your mattress is the likely culprit for your lower back pain. If you can’t get a good night of rest, it may be time to invest in a new mattress – one that offers pain relief and comfort for your sleeping style.
Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Dual-Layered Mattress
Our favorite for 2017
Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel 10 Memory Foam Mattress
A great value option
Resort Sleep NEW Queen size Ultra Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
A well constructed, solid and comfortable mattress
We’re going to review some of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers with lower back pain. But before we do that, let’s take a look at some important factors you should consider when comparing our picks:
- Mattress Type: All of the mattresses on our list are memory foam, which helps alleviate pain while offering you cradling comfort. But there are different types of memory foam. High-density, or HD, foam allows for better airflow as does gel-infused foam. If you have trouble staying cool at night, these may be the better option for you. But they do tend to come at a slightly higher price.
- Quality: You spend a large percentage of your life asleep, and poor quality sleep can cause health issues in the long run. That’s why it’s so important to consider the quality of the mattress. Look for models from reputable brands that have good user ratings.
- Height: Another thing to consider is the height of the mattress. Thicker mattresses tend to offer more support and comfort. Ideally, you want a model that’s at least 10” in height.
These are the most important factors to consider, and we kept them in mind when selecting the models on our list.
Reviews – The Best Bed for Stomach Sleepers in 2017
Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Dual-Layered Mattress – The Lucid memory foam mattress is 10-inches thick with 2.5-inches of memory foam for a luxurious, comfortable night of sleep. The open cell technology of this mattress is what sets it apart, allowing for better airflow to stay cool at night.
A 7.5-inch base layer of polyurethane foam adds support, while the upper layers offer cradling comfort that takes pressure off your lower back. If you’re a stomach sleeper, you’ll appreciate that this mattress is made with 100% CertiPUR-US foam that’s free of toxic chemicals.
Backed by a 25-year warranty, this mattress comes packed for easy shipping. Simply remove it from the box and allow it to expand – no expensive hand delivery required.
Resort Sleep Queen size 10” Cool Memory Foam Mattress – Resort Sleep’s 10” memory foam mattress is one of the most affordable options on our list, and it’s a great option for back pain relief. This mattress even comes with a free memory foam pillow, which is great for stomach sleepers.
Featuring two layers, this mattress will give you a complete night of rest while minimizing or eliminating back pain. The top 2.5” layer is made of air-infused viscoelastic foam, while the bottom layer features high density foam for improved airflow and extra support.
With a 10” profile, this bed is luxurious, and its double core helps relieve pressure points.
Resort Sleep Queen size Ultra Luxury Memory Foam Mattress – Another excellent choice from Resort Sleep, this Queen-size memory foam mattress is a slightly higher end item, but features an additional layer for added pain relief.
A top 2-inch layer features air-flow viscoelastic foam and sits on top of a 1-inch performance core layer. The 7-inch base is made of high-density foam for improved airflow and extra support for your back.
All three layers have airflow-promoting properties that help you stay cool at night. And with a balanced firmness, this bed offers both cradling comfort and the support you need for pain relief in the back, hips, knees, shoulders and neck.
This is one of the best beds for bad backs simply because it has an additional core layer for supportive relief.
Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel 10” Mattress – Brentwood’s 10-inch Bamboo Gel mattress will help you stay cool at night while offering vital pain relief for your back.
Featuring three layers, this mattress has a 2.5” layer with gel-infused, high-density foam, a 2.5” layer of supportive memory foam and a 5” foam base.
The gel-infused foam allows for better airflow, so you can stay cool and comfortable at night. At the same time, this mattress provides the cradling comfort that memory foam is famous for.
The triple-layer design of this mattress helps alleviate pressure points, so you toss and turn less often and wake up pain-free.
An included bamboo knit cover is naturally hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites and antimicrobial.
Brentwood Home S-Bed, 11” Organic Latex and Gel Memory Foam Mattress – The S-Bed from Brentwood is the most expensive model on our list (most online stores sell the King size for under one hundred dollars), but its quality and comfort is exceptional.
With a thickness of 11”, this mattress is about as luxurious as it comes. The top 2-inch layer features latex, which is certified organic. Beneath this layer is a 2-inch HD foam layer infused with gel to keep you cool, and a third 2” layer offers ventilated airflow for improved comfort.
The 5” base offers extra support and adds to the pain-relieving properties of this mattress.
Another layer of natural wool provides you with a cleaner sleeping surface – important for stomach sleepers.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers with Back Pain
With so many mattresses to choose from, it can be difficult to find the right one – especially since many have very similar features and designs. A mattress is a mattress after all, right? Wrong.
Here are some things to consider when choosing a mattress:
- Layers: All of the mattresses on our list have layers of memory foam. The number of layers and the type of foam used makes a world of difference in how comfortable the mattress is. Three layers is ideal for pain relief, but two layers will more than suffice if you have mild back pain. Look for layers of HD or gel-infused foam if you want to stay cooler at night.
- Comfort Level: Consider your own comfort level. Do you prefer soft, medium or firm mattresses? Firmer is usually the better option for pain, but stomach sleepers often prefer a softer mattress for comfort reasons. Aim for a balanced mattress that offers the best of both worlds.
- Foam Quality: If you’re buying a memory foam mattress, you want to make sure that it’s built with high quality foam. Opt for models with CertiPUR-US certified foam and low VOCs. Low-emissions mattresses have a minimal impact on your indoor air quality, an important factor to consider if you’re sleeping on your stomach with your nose so close to the mattress.
- Price: Don’t forget to consider the cost of the mattress. It’s hard to put a value on a good night of sleep, but if you must stay within a budget, make sure that you choose the best quality you can afford. You’ll pay a bigger price in the end if you choose a poor quality mattress that only exacerbates your pain.