The Ultimate Guide to Finding the Best Mattress for Hot Sleepers
Nothing beats the comfort and support of a memory foam mattress. But foam does have serious flaw – it’s not breathable. The biggest complaint people have with memory foam is that it gets too hot at night. No one wants to wake up in a sweat.
Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Dual-Layered Mattress
Our favorite for 2017
Arctic Dreams 10″ Cooling Gel Mattress Made in the USA
A great value option
Resort Sleep Queen size 10 Inch Cool Memory Foam Mattress
A queen-size premium cooling memory foam mattress.
Gel-infused and high-density foam helps solve this problem, but how can you decide which mattress is the coolest? Here are some factors to consider:
- Cooling Layers: How many layers does the mattress have, and how many of those layers have cooling features? Look for mattress that have gel-infused foam, high density foam and/or open cell technology. These are the features that give the mattress its cooling properties.
- Mattress Covers: Many memory foam mattresses come with covers that also help to keep you cool – and protect the mattress. Look for models that have knit covers for added breathability and easy cleaning.
- Quality and Durability: Naturally, you want a mattress that will provide you with years of use without losings its shape or supportive properties. Look for mattresses that have CertiPUR-US certified foam, which requires the foam to meet stringent quality and performance standards. Don’t forget to read through user reviews to gauge whether the mattress will last and to see if there are any serious flaws you should be aware of.
Finding a good mattress is never easy. We’ve researched the top cooling memory foam mattresses for you, and selected five of the best models on the market to help you find the right one for your needs.
The Best Cooling Mattress Reviews
DynastyMattress Cool Breeze – The DynastyMattress Cool Breeze is 12” in height and comes in a plethora of sizes, including split models. Made with cooling memory foam, this mattress will provide you with a comfortable night of sleep.
The Cool Breeze features four layers: one layer of 3” gel foam, two layers of 2” cool airflow system and one 5” high density foam base layer.
All foam is CertiPUR-US certified for quality and performance, and this model comes with a luxurious cover that’s removable and washable.
As an added bonus, DynastyMattress includes two free gel pillows.
If you want a mattress that offers exceptional comfort and durability, the Cool Breeze should be at the top of your list.
Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Dual-Layered Mattress – With two layers of memory foam, the Lucid 10” mattress is comfortable and breathable. The top layer features 2.5” of memory foam, while the base consists of 7.5” of polyurethane foam.
Made with open cell technology, the foam in this mattress allows for better airflow to keep you cool all night long. The top layer allows for cradling comfort, while the base adds support to prevent back pain and alleviate pressure points.
All of the foam is CertiPUR-US certified, so you know it’s of the highest quality. And the mattress is delivered in a vacuum packed box for easy maneuvering and set up.
Resort Sleep Queen size 10 Inch Mattress – Resort Sleep’s 10” queen mattress is highly affordable, and rated exceptionally by users. With two layers of foam, you’re sure to stay comfortable and cool while you sleep.
The top layer consists of 2.5” of pure memory foam, while the bottom base consists of 7.5” of high density foam. The high density foam allows for better airflow, so you don’t overheat at night.
Included with this mattress is a knit cover that’s easily removable and washable. For added peace of mind, you’ll be happy to learn that all the foam in this mattress is CertiPUR-US certified.
Classic Brands Cool Gel – A high 12” profile and cooling gel work together to give you a restful night of sleep on this Classic Brands cool gel mattress. Made with CertiPUR-US certified foam, this mattress offers exceptional quality and durability.
The Cool Gel mattress features four layers: a cool gel foam top layer, two high-density gel-support layers, and a support base that draws heat away from the body. Everything about this mattress is designed to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
Classic Brands includes a stretch knit cover to protect the mattress while keeping your sleeping environment clean and healthy. With six sizes to choose from (including twin XL and California king), this mattress can accommodate all sleepers.
Arctic Dreams 10″ Cooling Gel – Its name says it all. Artic Dreams is a 10” cooling gel mattress from Dreamfoam Bedding, and it comes in 8 sizes, including XL sizes. With a medium plush firmness, this is a mattress that everyone will enjoy sleeping on.
The Artic Dreams mattress features three layers: 0.75” of soft quilting, 3” Energex gel foam and 6.25” of high density foam. Gel is infused into the memory foam on the core layer to keep you cool throughout the night.
All foam is CertiPUR-US certified, so it’s free of harsh chemicals, and it’s backed by a 10-year warranty for added peace of mind.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Cooling Foam Mattress for You
You’ve read through our reviews, but you’re still not sure which mattress to choose. Many of the mattresses look the same and feature a similar construction, which can make it difficult to know which one to choose. Here are some things to consider to help you narrow down your choices to the best one.
- Layer Thickness: Most cooling memory foam mattresses have multiple layers, but the thickness of these layers is important. If the mattress has a thick layer of regular memory foam and just a small 1” layer of gel foam, it may not be as cooling as other models. Ideally, you want all of the layers (especially the thickest one) to have some sort of cooling/better airflow features.
- Firmness: It’s hard to gauge the firmness of memory foam because it conforms to your body, but mattresses with multiple layers can have variable firmness levels. Medium and firm mattresses tend to be better options for staying cool. If you’re sinking into the bed, you may have a harder time staying cool.
- Size: While the size of the bed won’t keep you any cooler, it’s still an important thing to consider. Some mattresses come in uncommon sizes, like a short queen or twin XL. If you have a special-sized frame, make sure the mattress comes in the right size.
- Price: Finally, consider the cost of the mattress. Cooling memory foam mattresses aren’t typically any more expensive than a conventional memory foam mattress. With that said, you’ll still need to set a budget and stick to it. Always opt for quality over price, and avoid buying a mattress just because it’s the cheapest one you can find.