Mattresses should be replaced every 5 – 10 years, but it’s not uncommon for consumers to wait even longer to replace their mattresses. Consumers don’t want to spend a lot of money on their mattress set, and it’s not something people know a whole lot about.
Sleep Master iCoil 13 Inch Euro Top Spring Mattress and BiFold Box Spring Set
Our favorite for 2020
Best Price Mattress 11″ Gel-infused Memory Foam Mattress & New Innovative Steel Platform Bed Set
Gel infusion makes this the best mattress in warmer climates
Night Therapy Spring 12 Inch Euro Box Top Mattress and SmartBase Complete Set
The best option for headboards and footboards
But we’re going to change that today.
- 1 Your Guide to Choosing the Best Mattress Set
- 2 Review of the Top 5 Mattress Sets Under $600
- 3 Wrapping Up
Your Guide to Choosing the Best Mattress Set
How to Choose a Mattress Set
Mattress sets make sense. When you buy a mattress set, you’re getting everything you need in one package. This means that you’ll get your mattress as well as your box spring all at the same time – a smart idea unless you have a newer box spring or mattress already.
Don’t let your mattress buying get exhausting.
You’ll want to start with some of the basics:
- Support: The mattress you choose needs to offer ample support for you. Heavier persons need thicker mattresses to provide additional support. If your back or shoulders ache after sleeping, chances are that you need a firmer mattress that adds additional support.
- Base: When sitting on your bed, do you like when it sinks in? If so, you don’t want a memory foam base. Memory foam conforms to the body and has less of a spring than competing models. The thicker the foam base, the less “sink” will be provided when you sit on it.
- Sleeping Style: Side sleepers need pressure relief to help keep their joints and pressure areas comfortable, while stomach sleepers do best on memory foam. A layered mattress works well when you sleep on your back. If your partner moves a lot and disturbs your sleep, a motion isolation mattress works best.
Of course, you’ll also want to consider the size of your room. Since you’re buying a mattress set, you can choose to move up to a larger mattress size.
When considering the frame, you need to pay close attention to your needs. A lof of beds have a headboard and footboard, and these are great options, but not all sets allow for these additions to be added to the frame.
If you want to attach a headboard or footboard, make sure that the set offers the brackets to attach these pieces.
You’ll also want to consider the layers and material that the bed is manufactured with. There are a lot of different materials that the bed can be made of, but the most common are:
- Memory foam, which provides additional comfort and support while reducing pressure on the joints.
- Spring, which is often cheaper in price but offers good weight distribution. The problem is that springs will wear, cause discomfort and cause sagging over time.
- Latex foam is another common material. This foam is often a blend and has a chemical smell.
- High Density foams last longer, eliminates sagging and can be rolled up and packed tightly. This foam has an additional firmness component, but the longevity is often an attractive selling point for potential buyers.
You’ll also find mattresses that offer breathable layers or even gel layers that promote cooling to allow you to sleep all night long without sweating. Choose a material that you prefer – they will all offer their own benefits.
Why Changing Your Mattress Important
If you’re having trouble sleeping, it might be time to change your mattress. You’ll find this video to be very useful if you’re sleeping on spring, memory foam or another material night after night and year after year.?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>
Over time, the inner workings of the mattress tend to degrade. Springs are notorious for this problem.
When the integrity of the mattress starts to go downhill, you’ll start to notice a few things:
- You’ll begin to toss and turn all night long
- You’ll start getting aches and pains when you wake up
- You’ll have a lot of restless nights
Your sleep quality begins to suffer when your mattress is worn or old. A quick mattress change can improve your quality of life allowing you to have a much better night of sleep immediately,
One of the best investments I ever made was getting rid of a 15+ year old mattress and replacing it with a new, memory foam model. My sleep quality has improved drastically. The mattress affected my sleep and health.
Why You Need to Replace Your Box Spring
Box springs also need replacement because they do a few things:
- Raise the mattress, making it easier to get in and out of bed
- Provide adequate support beyond what a mattress alone offers
- Reduces the potential for the mattress sagging
The box spring will also absorb some of the weight when you lay on the bed and helps distribute the weight better overall.
You might not need a new box spring every time you change your mattress, but it’s a good idea to buy a set so that you don’t have to worry about your box spring needing to be replaced.
Review of the Top 5 Mattress Sets Under $600
Sleep Master iCoil 13 Inch Euro Top Spring Mattress Review
Zinus’ iCoil is a mattress set that comes in full, king and queen sizes. The set includes a BiFold box spring set and offers all-night comfort with patented technology that promotes a better night’s sleep.
The ICoil pocketed springs, fiber and foam quilted cover offer truly customized mattress support. Hundreds of coils allow for a comfortable, customized feel when sleeping. The mattress also features a pressure-relieving foam and a high-density layer of foam for added comfort.
BiFold Box Springs look and feel like real box springs, and offer a fabric cover and heavy-gauge steel frame. The mattress’ foundation can be folded, too, thanks to the compression technology, which allows for easy transport and storage.
CertiPUR-US Certified, this mattress meets or exceeds durability, content and performance standards.
- ICoil design allows for supreme comfort all night long
- Patented technology allows the unit to fold up for transport or storage
- High density foam removes pressure points and alleviates pain
- High-density foam makes this a firmer mattress
- Has an odd smell at first
Sleep Master’s iCoil 13 offers one of the best sleeps in the industry, and it’s firmer than thought. The bed does have an odd, synthetic smell initially, but after a few days, this smell dissipates and becomes unnoticeable.
Best Price Mattress 12″ Grand Memory Foam Mattress
Best Price Mattress offers high-end mattresses at the best price, and this model comes in three main sizes: King, Queen and California King with several styles heights. The memory foam mattress is accompanied by a steel platform offering a complete set.
Chemical odor is kept to a minimum, something not experienced in the iCoil, thanks to charcoal and castor oil used in the mattress’ design.
Memory foam provides pressure relief for aches and pains while the unit comes backed with a 10-year warranty and is also CertiPUR-US certified. There are 7-inch legs included that can be attached directly to the box spring.
You don’t even need to buy a frame.
Maximum edge firmness is offered by the heavy gauge metal. But keep in mind that you’ll need a frame if you want to attach a headboard. The box spring has a 7.5″ height, so when the legs are attached, the height of the bed is 14.5.”
- Versatile box spring eliminates the need for a frame
- Memory foam design allows for maximum comfort and pressure relief
- Quick and easy to setup with just two pieces and a 15 minute assembly
- Mattress is very firm
The mattress is very firm at first, but you’ll get accustomed to it quickly. Aside from this minor complaint, Best Price offers a high-end mattress that lasts for years while also providing superb comfort.
Night Therapy Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress
Zinus’ Night Therapy model offers a unique design that offers 2 inches of pressure relieving foam, 2 inches of therapeutic comfort memory foam and four inches of high density base support foam.
The additional layers work together to provide a comfortable night of sleep that promotes proper spinal alignment along with pressure-relieving, therapeutic comfort.
The unit comes with a 14″ SmartBase bed frame that also provides 12.5″ of clearance under the bed for easy storage. In smaller homes, this frame excels, allowing you to store small boxes, shoes and other items under your bed.
It eliminates clutter in the closet, too.
SmartBase’s design allows the frame to fold for easy storage and carry. Worry-free, the base comes with a 5-year warranty while the mattress comes with a 10-year warranty. This model is available in twin, twin XL, full, queen and king sizes.
- Multiple-layered design provides therapeutic comfort
- SmartBase folds for easy transport and offers superb clearance
- Outstanding comfort, especially for back pain sufferers
- Shipment can be slow at times, depending on inventory
There’s not much to complain about with the Night Therapy mattress. Shipping can be slow, and some people find the 8-inch thickness to be too little. But for a space-saving, comfortable mattress set, it’s hard to beat the Night Therapy.
Best Price Mattress 11″ Gel-infused Memory Foam Mattress
Best Price Mattress deserves a round of applause for the Gel-infused model. Gel is incorporated into the mattress’ design, with a 1.5″ gel memory foam layer that allows for a cool night’s sleep.
People with night sweats or that live in hotter climates will appreciate this mattress.
And there’s also a 2″ ventilated memory foam layer that offers additional cooling for maximum heat comfort when sleeping. This model’s 11″ design includes a 7.5″ base layer that adds to the durability and support of the mattress.
A steel platform is included and features the same 7″ legs mentioned earlier that attach to the bottom of the mattress.
Overall height of the bed is 14.5″.
- Extreme ventilation allows for a cool night of sleep
- Multiple layers allow for comfort and cooling
- Steel platform offers 7 inch legs for a 14.5″ bed height
- Frame cover makes it difficult to setup properly
The frame of this model is easy to assemble, but the cover is very tedious to get on. The cover hardly fits, and it’s easy to rip the cover as a result. For lower back pain, shoulder injuries or the person who sweats at night, this is an exceptional mattress.
And the gel makes it comfortable, too.
Night Therapy Spring 12 Inch Euro Box Top Mattress
Night Therapy also offers a 12″ thick model that comes with a SmartBase set that provides the same great 12.5″ clearance under the bed for added storage. This model sits at 1″ in height without considering the 12″ mattress thickness.
SmartBase allows you to replace a traditional box spring or frame and also folds for easy storage and movement.
The spring design allows for reduced motion transfer, allowing your partner to sleep without disruption. If you move a lot at night or toss and turn, the motion transfer distribution will allow for a great night of sleep for you and your partner.
A euro top mattress offers a fiber quilted cover and pressure-relieving comfort foam.
Headboard and footboard brackets are included that allow you to attach a headboard or footboard. There’s also a bed skirt (white) to complete the set. The mattress will open to its rightful size in just 48 hours of the unit being unpacked.
- Users can attach a headboard or footboard to the bed
- Clearance allows for medium boxes to go under the bed
- Pressure-relieving comfort foam relieves aches and pains
- Comes very firm and needs to be broken in
The only complaint with this mattress set is that the mattress is very firm. You’ll need to sleep on the mattress for a few weeks before breaking it in. This is common with most mattresses, so it’s not much of a concern.
But what I like a lot is that a headboard and footboard can be attached – a major perk.
The Sleep Master iCoil 13 is the clear winner, and the reason being is that the mattress offers: superb comfort and pressure point relief. A great overall mattress set, this mattress, despite its odd smell, provides everything a person could want: durability, comfort and longevity.
It’s the best overall mattress, and when you need a replacement, it’s a great choice.
Of course, if you need cooling, you can choose the gel mattress. But for the everyday sleeper that doesn’t have specific pains or has a tendency to sweat in the middle of the night, the iCoil is the clear winner.
It’s a mattress loved by everyone that sleeps on it, and it’s priced to sell.