Our Guide to Finding the Best Down Pillow After 2015
Down pillows are some of the softest and most luxurious pillows you can buy. As you may have guessed, these pillows are filled with down, the soft layer of feathers found under a bird’s exterior feathers. The finest down pillows come with a high price tag, but pillows that offer a mixture of both down and feathers can be equally as soft and luxurious.
Puredown White Down Pillow 100% Cotton Fabric 600 Fill Power(with 100% Cotton Pillow Protectors)
Our favorite for 2020
Puredown White Goose Feather and Down Pillow
A great value option
Premium 100% White Goose Down Firm Pillow
A great firm option
There’s no question that a down pillow will provide you with a comfortable, supportive night of sleep, but how do you compare different models to find the right one for you?
- Comfort Level: Do you want a firm or soft pillow? If you’re looking for a pillow that’s soft as a cloud, 100% down is your best option, and a lower fill power will give you extra cushioning. If you need more support, a blend of down and feathers with a higher fill power may be the better option.
- Quality: Quality is especially important with down pillows because you don’t always get what you pay for. Many countries have strict regulations on down pillows to ensure that consumers are actually buying pillows with down feathers, but not all countries have this, so be wary of who and where you’re buying from. If the pillow contains a blend of down and feathers, make sure that it doesn’t also contain other material. If the percentages don’t add up, there may be other fillers that aren’t listed.
- User Feedback: Some down pillows hold their shape for years, while others go flat in a few months. Some have feather quills that poke through, while others are luxuriously soft. The only way to really know whether a pillow is high quality or a dud is to try it out firsthand – but user reviews can be just as helpful. If a pillow looks promising but has really poor reviews, there’s a good chance it’s a low quality pillow that isn’t worth your hard-earned money.
Finding a down pillow can be a chore – and a challenge. After all, there are so many pillows to choose from. To make your life easier, we’ve rounded up some of the best down pillows you can buy to help you find one that meets your needs.
Puredown White Down Pillow – With 600 fill power and a filling weight of 18 ounces, this Puredown pillow is incredibly luxurious – and surprisingly affordable. Two pillows are included in the set, which are filled with white down. And if that weren’t enough luxury for you, each pillow also includes a 100%, 300-thread count cotton cover.
We love this pillow because it’s incredibly soft, and they come in pairs. The machine-washable, removable cover is a nice addition. The pillow itself is dry-clean only, so the cover makes it easy to keep the pillow clean in between dry cleanings.
Filled with white goose down, these are two of your most comfortable pillows you will ever sleep on.
Puredown White Goose Feather and Down Pillow – If you’re on a tighter budget, the White Goose Feather and Down pillow is a smart option. These medium-density pillows are filled with 95% goose feather, and 5% goose down. The goose feather allows for a firmer surface, while the down provides a luxurious, subtle softness that cradles your head, neck and shoulders.
Included are two pillows, each with a 233-thread count cover made of 100% cotton. The double-layered fabric cover helps prevent those pesky pricks you feel when sleeping on a typical feather pillow.
The great thing about this pillow is that it’s affordable, and it’s machine-washable, which means you save money on dry cleaning.
Better Down White Goose Down Pillow – Want a firm pillow, but don’t want to sacrifice the luxurious feeling of 100% down? Better Down offers a 100% white goose down pillow that’s firm and boasts a 550-fill.
Made in the USA, this down pillow is enveloped in a 233-thread count, 100% cotton cover. And because of its firmness, this pillow is ideal for all types of sleepers.
Firm down pillows are hard to come by, so this is a rare find. The only drawbacks with this pillow are its high price tag and the fact that you only receive one pillow. With that said, the high fill count and 100% down make it worth every penny.
Double Down Surround Pillow by Pacific Coast – Back and side sleepers will love the Double Down Surround Pillow from Pacific Coast. Medium-firm, this pillow features an inner core layer of 95% feathers, and an outer layer of 75% down.
The inner layer of feathers offers extra durability and resilience, while the layer of down offers luxurious comfort. With 550 fill power, this pillow is sturdy enough to provide side sleepers the support they need, while still providing the softness you’d expect from a down pillow.
Because this pillow is primarily filled with features – not down – it’s still machine washable, which makes it so easy to care for.
Modern Luxury White Goose Down Pillow – Offering a blend of 75% feathers and 25% white goose down, this Modern Luxury pillow is supportive and incredibly soft. Back and side sleepers will love the medium firmness this pillow offers, and because it’s hypoallergenic, you never have to worry about allergies.
A 100% cotton, 330-thread count casing is included to prevent any feather quills from poking through. The pillow is machine washable, too, for exceptionally easy care.
The only gripe we had with this pillow was that it was only available in queen size, which is not ideal for twin or full size beds. With that said, this pillow is exceptionally affordable and should still fit a full size bed with a little creative shaping.
Buyer’s Guide – How To Choose From All the Top Rated Down Pillows on the Market And Find the Right One for You
The pillows listed above are some of the best on the market, but how do you narrow your choices down to just one? While your personal preferences will be a deciding factor, there are other things you should consider, too, such as:
- Down vs Feather: One of the first and most important things is to consider what the pillow is filled with: down or feathers. Down is made of 100% down (the soft feathers), while feathers contain the exterior feathers that aren’t quite as soft or insulating. Both 100% down and 100% feather pillows are available, or you can choose a blend. Feather pillows tend to be firmer, while 100% down pillows don’t always offer as much support.
- Size: If you have a full size bed, you’ll need a full size pillow. Sleeping on a pillow that is too large or too small for your bed can be detrimental to your sleep quality, so make sure that you buy the right size.
- Budget: Whether you have a lot or a little to spend, you need to sit down and set a budget for your pillow. Down pillows can be very expensive, so it’s easy to overspend. Figure out how much you can comfortably spend, and buy the best pillow you can get in your price range.
- Care: Is the pillow dry clean only, or machine washable? Pillows that are 100% down are typically dry clean only, but blends are machine washable for easy care. If you’re not the type to visit the dry cleaners often, a 100% down pillow may not be the best choice for you.