Our Guide to The Top Rated Down Pillows for Side Sleepers After 2015
If you’re a side sleeper, you’ll need a pillow that is able to provide your neck with adequate support while you sleep. Beds and pillows can be made for different sleeping styles, and a back sleeper will sleep better on a different type of pillow than a side sleeper.
Pacific Coast Double Down Surround Pillow
Our favorite for 2020
Puredown White Down Pillow 100% Cotton Pillow
A brilliant double pillow set
Royal Hotel’s Goose Down Pillow
When looking for a soft down pillow (recommended for side sleepers), you’ll want to compare a variety of different features and specs (take a look below for a full buyer’s guide). But if you’re looking for the best down pillows, you’ll want to compare the following to find a pillow that meets your sleeping needs.
- Firmness: Anyone that sleeps on their side needs a little more support than other types of sleepers. It’s recommended that you choose a pillow that offers added firmness to provide proper support while you sleep.
- Single or Set: There are sets and single pillows available. Sets are preferred, but if the pillow is too high or fluffy, sleeping on two of them can further put your neck and spine out of position. If you only need one pillow, don’t buy a set just because it is available.
- Fill Power: When applicable, we’ll be mentioning fill power. This is a measurement of the fluffiness of a pillow, and the higher the number, the fluffier the pillow will be.
You’ll have a few other factors to consider, which we will be talking about later in this article. And you’ll be happy to know that these are all down pillows that have been designed with the side sleeper in mind.
Puredown White Goose Feather and Down Pillow – Featuring a set of down, white goose feather pillows, this pillow is 95% white goose feather and 5% white goose down (yes there is a difference). Offering medium density, this pillow is soft and comfortable yet offers the perfect firmness when sleeping on your side.
A cotton fabric encompasses the pillow with a 233 thread count. Double layered fabric works to eliminate the prick of feathers that can poke out of the pillow while you’re sleeping.
These pillows come in standard, queen and king sizes, and can be machined washed and dried. Upon unpacking the pillows, you’ll have to wait a few hours for them to properly fluff to their proper level.
This is the best down pillow set on the list, and it’s the best choice for side sleepers.
Pacific Coast Double Down Surround Pillow – A soft down pillow that is a king size and features Pacific Coast down and feather filling. Medium firm, this pillow spans 20” x 36”, and is fluffy enough to be used as a single pillow for most users.
Perfect for both back and side sleepers, the only reason this pillow is lower on our list is that the pillow is a single pillow – not a set.
The inner layer of the pillow offers 95% feather, while the outer layer offers 75% down for optimal firmness and softness. The covering thread count is 230, and fill power is 550.
Puredown White Down Pillow 100% Cotton Fabric – Available in queen and standard sizes, Puredown offers a 20” x 28” pillow that features a 100% cotton cover and luxury white down filling. Meant to be a high-end pillow, these pillows are very comfortable and have 600 fill power for the right amount of fluff and firmness.
Two pillows are offered in this set, and each has a 300 thread count for the pillow protector.
The pillows are packed very tightly, so ensure that you properly dry and fluff them. You’ll also want to unpack the pillow, and allow it to sit for several hours so that it can return to its proper pre-packed shape before sleeping on them.
If you have a higher budget, don’t pass these pillows up.
Puredown Quilted White Goose Feather and Down Pillow – The third pillow from Puredown to make our list. This pillow comes in sizes standard/queen and king, and is a set of two pillows. Sized just right, the queen pillow has dimensions of 20” x 28”.
Filled with 95% white goose feather and 5% down, these pillows are comfortable for all sleepers and provides a medium firmness that is just right for side sleepers. These pillows also expand very quickly once they’re removed from their packaging.
I had some of my best sleeps on this pillow – it was perfect – and oh so comfortable. If you’re looking for a versatile pillow that will fit any sleeping style, I can’t recommend this pillow enough.
Royal Hotel’s Goose Down Pillow – If I had one pillow set on this list to pick, it would be Royal Hotel’s. You won’t find a better set of pillows, but the high end nature of the product could put some people off, so it comes a little lower on our list.
But if you have the extra money in your budget, this pillow offers: 500 thread count Egyptian cotton cover, 100% luxury down, 750 fill power and comes in standard and king sizes.
You will have to dry clean these pillows, and the edges feature a silky piping.
The higher price of this pillow is a true reflection of what a 100% down pillow costs.
Buyer’s Guide – What Are the Best Down Pillows for Side Sleepers
The best rated down pillows will be found on our list, but what are a few features you need to keep in mind when purchasing a pillow?
- Size: I personally prefer a pillow size that is one size higher than my current bed size, so there’s no gap between pillows when I roll over in the middle of the night. You’ll want to choose a pillow size that is, at least, the same size as your bed.
- Filling: We’re focusing on the best rated down pillows because down is soft to provide optimal comfort, but it is also firm enough to provide adequate support while you sleep. Sleep experts recommend down pillows as the best pillow if you’re chasing a good night’s sleep.
- Filling Ratio: You’ll notice that we mention a lot of different filling ratios. A 100% down pillow is preferred, and generally speaking, the higher percentage of down versus feather is the preferred choice.
- Price: Pillows can be budget or high end items depending on the type, material and thread count. You’ll need to know whether you can spend the full whack for full down and Egyptian cotton covers, or if you want a more affordable, and economic pillow.
A soft down pillow is easy to find, but the best rated pillow will provide the support your neck and spine need for a good night’s sleep. With down being the recommended pillow of choice for sleep experts around the world, this is an investment that is well worth the cost. And you’ll sleep like a baby at night.