Our Guide to Sorting Through All the Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper Reviews and Finding the Right One for You
A gel memory foam mattress topper is a lot like a traditional memory foam topper. Both are made from viscoelastic, but the gel counterpart is infused with – you guessed it – a gel. What this does is improve circulation, so you stay cooler at night.
LUCID 2 Inch Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Our favorite for 2020
Sleep Master Gel Memory Foam 2 Inch Topper
A great value option
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
A brilliant topper with a 10 year warrnty!
If you’ve decided to purchase one of these mattress toppers, you may be wondering how to compare models.
There are a few key important things you need to consider:
- Size: You’ll need to choose the right size – twin, full, queen or king.
- Thickness: The thickness of the mattress topper will have a direct effect on the comfort level. The thicker the topper, the more cushioning and support it will provide. Thicker toppers also add height to your bed.
- Ease of Shipment: Some toppers are heavy. Does the manufacturer keep the size and weight of the product in mind when packing and shipping?
- Warranty: Does the topper come with a warranty that safeguards your purchase?
These are just a few of the many things you’ll need to consider when comparing different mattress toppers. With so many factors at play, it can be overwhelming to compare all the models yourself. We’ve done the hard work for you, and selected five of the best memory foam gel mattress toppers on the market today.
Gel Mattress Toppers Reviews: Our Top 5 Picks
Sleep Master Memory Foam 2 Inch Topper – Sleep Master is a fitting name for this 2-inch topper from Zinus. Made from high quality gel memory foam, you’ll enjoy a better night’s sleep with added support, comfort and cooling.
What sets this topper apart from the competition is its Biofoam. Unlike traditional memory foam, which uses petroleum, Biofoam uses plant oil as well as green tea extract and active charcoal. These natural substances help eliminate odors and absorb moisture.
Not only does this mattress topper use environmentally-friendly materials, it’s also backed by a 5-year warranty and comes shipped in a box that’s easy to handle.
The only drawback (if you can call it that)? The topper needs to be removed from the packaging within 72 hours of delivery, and you’ll need to give it 48 hours to return to its original shape.
Beautyrest 3-inch Sculpted Gel Mattress Topper – From one of the most trusted names in the mattress industry, the Simmons Beautyrest 3” gel mattress topper features temperature sensitive foam that automatically adjusts to your body temperature.
This model is a little bit thicker than our previous pick, and its texture is a little different, too. Rather than being completely flat, like the Sleep Master, this topper features contoured ridges to provide you with the comfort and support your body craves.
On top of all this, the topper also provides resistance to dust mites and is naturally antimicrobial. It also draws warm air away from the body, so you enjoy a cooler, more comfortable night of sleep.
LUCID 2 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Topper – If you wake up in a sweat every morning, the LUCID 2” ventilated gel mattress topper may be the solution you need. Designed with ventilation holes, this mattress topper improves ventilation while helping you maintain the optimal sleeping temperature for you.
LUCID uses an open cell construction to improve durability and resilience, so your mattress topper lasts longer and maintains its shape.
Like other memory foam toppers, this model is resistant to dust mites, allergens and bacteria.
With added support in all the right places, this mattress topper can help alleviate neck, back and shoulder pain by eliminating pressure points.
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper – If you’re looking for a truly luxurious experience, the Sleep Innovations 4” mattress topper is a great choice. Its dual layer design features a 2” layer of gel memory foam and another 2” down alternative cover.
Machine-washable, the removable cover is 100% cotton and features a 300 thread count. It easily stretches to fit over the memory foam layer, so it stays firmly in place on top of your mattress.
Sleep Innovations uses a gel swirl formula that combines the comfort of memory foam with the cooling effects of gel. The brand’s advanced foam technology features strengthened cell walls that improve support and airflow.
Resistant to dust mites and allergens, this mattress topper helps promote proper spinal alignment while you sleep.
LUCID 2.5 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper – LUCID’s 2” topper was our third pick, and the 2.5” is our final pick. Featuring the brand’s famous ventilated design, this topper improves airflow and regulates your sleeping temperature for added comfort each night.
Using open-cell technology, LUCID’s mattress toppers retain their shape for longer and have lasting durability. They’re also backed by a 3-year warranty, which gives you peace of mind that your purchase is protected.
Naturally resistant to dust mites and allergens, this model allows for a cleaner, healthier sleep environment. It also comes with a removable bamboo cover for added comfort and antimicrobial resistance.
And to help you find a topper that fits your mattress properly, LUCID offers 7 sizes: twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, king, and California king.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Memory Foam Topper for You
These are our top five picks for gel mattress toppers, but what makes them the best? Here’s what we keep in mind when comparing products:
- Mattress Sizes: Naturally, you want to choose a topper that fits your mattress size. Look for brands that offer all four of the most common sizes: twin, full, queen and king. This way, if you find a topper that you like and you change mattress sizes in the future, you can purchase the same model.
- Thickness: The thickness of the topper is also important. Thicker toppers will provide more comfort and better temperature regulation. Thinner toppers still provide extra comfort without adding significant height to your bed.
- Price: Cost is a major concern when buying a topper – especially gel memory foam. Some high-end models can cost several hundred dollars, while mid-range models offer nearly the same level of comfort for considerably less. Stick to your budget, but if you can, stretch it a little further (not too far) to invest in a higher quality topper that will last longer.
- Memory Foam Quality: The quality of the memory foam is something else that you need to consider. Many of the models on our list use open-cell technology or natural plant oils that enhance the quality of the product while being easier on the environment (and your health). Opt for higher quality if you can, and double check the product description to make sure that the memory foam is in fact infused with gel.
Gel foam mattress toppers add comfort and support to your mattress while keeping you cool at night. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your current topper or enhance the comfort of your old mattress, these five models will give you the best value for your money.