How to Find the Top Rated Down Pillows for Side Sleepers
For side sleepers, nothing beats the support and comfort of a down pillow. Made from the fine feathers underneath the tougher exterior feathers of a goose, down is exceptionally soft and a fantastic thermal insulator.
Superior 100% Down 700 Fill Power Hungarian White Goose Down Pillow
Our favorite for 2020
Premium 100% White Goose Down Firm Pillow
A great value option
Premium 100% White Goose Down Firm Pillow
Comes as a set of 2
While its softness is what people love about down, it also offers support for the neck and spine, which is something side sleepers need.
Down pillows are an investment – they can cost quite a bit more than the average pillow. But their comfort makes them worth the cost, and they tend to last longer than the standard cotton pillow.
If you’re thinking of making the switch to a down pillow, you may be wondering what to look for when weighing your options. Here are some pointers:
- Fill Power: The higher the fill power, the firmer the pillow. Keep this in mind when you’re looking at your options. If you need more support, a higher fill power is recommended, but most side sleepers do well with 550-650 fill power.
- Feather Quality: A feather pillow is not the same as a down pillow. Look for models that explicitly state they’re 100% down. Anything less than 100% means there are standard feathers included into the mix, which can poke out of the pillow and make it uncomfortable.
- User Feedback: Pay attention to what other people are saying about the pillow. Are buyers happy with their experience, or did the pillow fall apart after just a week of use? Feedback from buyers will give you an idea of the pillow’s quality.
We know that it can be hard to find a pillow that meets your needs. That’s why we took the time to compare and review some of the top down pillows on the market – and all of them are ideal for side sleepers.
The Best Goose Pillows for 2020
Royal Luxure White Goose Down Pillow – Royal Luxure’s down pillow offers a 300-thread count cotton cover, and white goose down filling with 650 power. Firm but luxuriously comfortable, this pillow is made in the U.S., and is ideal for side and back sleepers.
Because this pillow is filled with goose down, no feathers poke through. Down is also lightweight, so you can comfortably shape this pillow to your liking without giving your arm a workout.
The shell of the pillow offers additional comfort, and is hypoallergenic for the most comfortable night of sleep possible.
If you want a luxurious down pillow that offers firm support, Royal Luxure is a smart option.
Royal Luxure Superb white Goose Down Pillow – The Superb goose down pillow is our second pick from Royal Luxure. This queen-sized pillow offers medium firmness, which is optimal for side and back sleepers.
The 330-thread count cotton white shell is soft to the touch, while the 650 fill power gives this pillow a luxurious feel when slept on.
Like the previous pillow, this model is made in the U.S. and is hypoallergenic. The goose down filling is ultra-soft, but also offers cradling support for the neck and head for a restful night of sleep.
The Superb down pillow will leave you feeling like you’re sleeping on a cloud.
Continental Bedding 100% Down 700 Fill – Continental Bedding’s 100% down pillow is one of the softest pillows around, and with 700 fill power, you know you’re getting a luxurious experience.
Available in king, queen and standard size, this pillow is reasonably priced and filled with 29 ounces of 100% Hungarian goose down.
A 300 thread count, striped cover adds an extra layer of comfort, while the high fill power allows for extra-firm support. While this pillow is ideal for sleep, it also offers excellent support while you’re watching TV or working on your laptop in bed.
If want an extra-firm pillow that still delivers the luxuriously soft feel of a down pillow, this model is it.
Continental Bedding 100% White Goose Down Firm – A premium selection from Continental Bedding, this goose down pillow offers 550 fill power and 24 ounces of white goose down.
The 223-thread count cotton cover adds to the overall comfort of this pillow, and three size options are available: standard, queen and king.
Like the previous pick from Continental Bedding, this pillow is made in the U.S.
While still considered firm, the softness of goose down makes this pillow an excellent choice for side sleepers. Changing the shape of the pillow is effortless, and down naturally conforms to the natural shape of your head and neck for unparalleled comfort all night long.
Better Down 100% White Goose Down Firm (Set of 2) – The final pick on our list is the only one to offer a set of two pillows, and they each offer 550 fill power, which is perfect for side sleepers. It offers just the right amount of soft support to help prevent neck and shoulder pain.
The cover is constructed with a 223-thread count cotton for exceptional comfort, while the filling is 100% white goose down for support. These pillows provide the ideal amount of firm support while still feeling incredibly soft.
Made in the U.S., this set is a great option if you’re looking to buy a pair of pillows that offers great value for the money.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose From the Best Feather Pillows On the Market
Buying a pillow should be simple, but it never is. It’s hard to know which one will work best for you when all of the available options look the same, and have virtually the same product description. Here’s what to look for:
- Size Options: Make sure that the pillow you’re considering comes in the right size for your bed. Most come in standard, queen or king. Avoid buying a pillow that’s too big or too small for your bed. Otherwise, you might find yourself tossing and turning all night long.
- Quality of the Down: Down varies in quality, but white goose is the premium choice. Hungarian down is largely considered the “best of the best,” but all white goose down is exceptionally soft and comfortable.
- Pillow Cover: What material is the pillow cover made of? Is there an additional cover that wraps around the pillow shell for added protection? A cotton cover and/or shell is preferred because it offers comfort and is hypoallergenic.
- One Pillow, or Two: Does the pillow come in a set of two, or will you have to purchase two separately? Consider the added costs of you have to purchase two pillows separately – they can add up quickly.
- Price: Finally, keep the cost of the pillow in mind. This point goes along with the previous one. You’ll want to set a budget when buying down pillows because some models can be pricey. While worth the cost, you want to find the right balance of value and quality, so you have the best experience possible.