Our Guide to Finding the Best Memory Foam Topper for Your Bed
Memory foam offers unbeatable comfort and support. But not everyone can afford to buy a memory foam mattress. The compromise? A memory foam mattress topper. You get the same comfort and support without the high price tag of buying a brand new mattress.
Queen Size 3 Inch Thick 4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad
Our favorite for 2020
Sleep Innovations 2-Inch Memory Foam Twin XL Mattress Topper
A great value option
Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
A real winner from best price
But there are so many toppers on the market today – it’s enough to make your head spin. What criteria should you use to find a model that fits your needs?
- Density: Thicker mattress pads offer more cushioning and support. Look for models that are at least 2 inches thick.
- Memory Foam Type: Is the topper made of traditional memory foam, gel infused memory foam, or some other material? Make sure the model you’re considering is constructed with genuine memory foam.
- Airflow: Opt for toppers that are built with open cell technology. This allows for improved airflow, so you stay cool at night.
- Positive Reviews: Not all mattress toppers are created equal. Look for models that have positive customer reviews, so you ensure you purchase a quality product that will last more than just a few weeks.
- Shipping: How is the mattress topper shipped? Is it vacuum sealed and compressed? This allows for easier shipping, although you’ll need to wait 42-72 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less) for the topper to fully expand to its original, intended shape. Although rare, toppers that are shipped uncompressed can be awkward and heavy to carry.
These are some of the most important things that you should keep in mind when buying a mattress topper. But what if you don’t have time to sift through all the models on the market? We’ve made it easy for you, and rounded up the five top-selling models.
The 5 Best Mattress Pad Reviews
These five models have proven to be affordable, comfortable, durable and supportive – everything you want in a mattress topper.
Sleep Innovations 2” Foam Mattress Topper – Sleep Innovations is a leading name in the mattress industry, and their 2 inch memory foam topper is designed exclusively for Twin XL mattresses. Ideal for college dorm use, this topper is created with 100% polyurethane memory foam, and features a 3 pound density.
Like other memory foam toppers, this model is naturally antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. But it’s also built with open cell technology, which improves airflow and allows you to enjoy a cooler night of sleep.
As far as firmness goes, this model is medium to medium-soft, so you get support without the topper being too stiff or soft.
This Sleep Innovations topper is our number one pick because its price is unbeatable, and the foam is made in the USA. Just keep in mind that this model is for Twin XL beds only. If you’re looking for a topper that fits a queen, full or king mattress, our second pick is the ideal choice.
Memory Foam Solutions 3” Memory Foam Topper – Memory Foam’s 3” topper instantly transforms your old mattress, making it more luxurious, supportive and comfortable. The 4-lb memory foam conforms to your body, alleviating pressure points and providing you with the support that your body craves.
The high density foam used to create this topper is firmer when cool and softer when warm. Once you lay down, your body heat warms up the topper, allowing it to conform to your unique body shape.
Made in the USA, this mattress pad meets all CSPC and EPA standards, and is PURGreen certified.
Vacuum sealed and compressed, this product arrives at your door in a convenient-sized box that’s easy to handle.
Best Price Mattress 4” Topper – A 4” mattress topper it’s affordably priced and amazingly comfortable. If you require more support cushioning, this thicker topper is the right choice for you.
Just like a traditional memory foam mattress, this model offers responsive action that isolates motion, so you never disturb your partner when sleeping. This topper also conforms to your own unique body shape, so you enjoy a more restful night of sleep.
The nice thing about this model is that it comes with a mesh zippered cover that’s removable and easy to wash. It also backed by a five-year warranty, so you know that your purchase is protected.
Available in four sizes, the Best Price Mattress topper is a great choice for anyone looking for a higher density mattress pad.
Sleep Joy 2” Foam Mattress Pad – Looking for a mattress topper that will keep you cool? Sleep Joy offers a ventilated, 2” mattress pad that will breathe new life into your old mattress. This topper provides just enough support to eliminate pressure points without adding too much height to your bed.
And if you’re concerned about the environment, you’ll be happy to know the Sleep Joy uses plant-based ingredients that are easier on the environment. Their memory foam is made in the USA, and unlike other memory foam products, this topper is odor-neutralized (no chemical smells). The ventilation holes in the topper allow for better airflow, which prevents you from overheating at night.
If you want a cooler mattress pad, this model is the right choice for you.
Lucid 4” Foam Topper – Lucid offers some of the best memory foam toppers in the industry, and they’re backed by a generous 3-year warranty. While the brand offers thicknesses of virtually all levels, the 4” topper is one of our favorites. Why? Because it offers just the right amount of cushioning and support to eliminate pressure points.
It’s like sleeping on a brand new mattress.
While this model is on the pricey-side, it’s worth the extra cost. It’s built with open cell technology, which allows for a better airflow, so you don’t wake up in a sweat at night. Open cell technology also helps the topper maintain its shape.
If you can stretch your budget and want maximum comfort and support, Lucid’s 4” topper is the ultimate choice.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Sort through All the Memory Foam Topper Reviews and Find the Right One for You
What should you be looking for when comparing memory foam mattress toppers? While it ultimately comes down to personal preference, there are some factors that you should keep in mind:
- Budget: You can only spend what you can afford, so choose a model that fits within your budget and still provides you with the quality you’re looking for.
- Comfort Level: Take a look at the density and thickness of the topper to ensure that it meets your comfort level needs. Low density, thin toppers will be as comfortable and provide this cushioning. Thicker mattress pads will be more comfortable and supportive, but they will also add height to your bed.
- Durability: Is the mattress made with high quality materials? Will it be able to maintain its shape? Models that are built with open cell technology are better able to maintain their shape and are more resilient. A basic memory foam mattress pad may be more affordable, but will eventually lose its shape – meaning it won’t conform to your body as well as it once did.
- Size: Does the manufacturer offer a size that will fit your mattress? Remember, some models are 1 inch shorter on all sides, so they can easily fit under your sheets. If you have a special size mattress, make sure that you choose a topper that will fit your needs.
Choosing a mattress topper doesn’t have to be a chore. Use this criteria to help you find a model that will fit your needs. Our five picks listed above all meet our stringent requirements and will provide you with the comfort and support you desire.